Friday, October 8, 2010

{Foodie} What is the difference between free range organic and the average egg.

Image borrowed from www.timyoung.net.
My egg of choice is an egg of color. this particular egg comes straight from the henhouse/under a bush/lying randomly in our yard. I love the look and feel of our eggs. Oh and don't even get me started on the taste! I sit here and dream of the day my hen house is finished and the hens lay and lay in the hen house. I cannot imagine the joy of my son when he collects the eggs all by himself. My excitement is not just because we have colored eggs. My excitement is because we have a diverse flock, who have been able to reproduce and sustain themselves for almost 2 years now. These are some of the healthiest chickens I can ever imagine! Here are some numbers of the differences between your average factory farmed egg and your truly organic free-range eggs.

• 1⁄3 less cholesterol• 1⁄4 less saturated fat• 2⁄3 more vitamin A• 2 times more omega-3 fatty acids• 3 times more vitamin E• 7 times more beta carotene
Plus there is also 4 to 6 times as much vitamin D in a Free Range/pastured egg than there is in a commercial egg. 




There is one thing you need to look out for though. A lot of commercial farms are saying they are free-range when really it is just a window in a long building with chickens on the ground, packed so tight they can hardly breathe let alone walk.  So make a mental note to either grow your own or buy from the local farmer, whose farm you can visit. 


No comments:

Post a Comment