Monday, November 22, 2010

Gluten Free Bread (in a bread machine, which is not impossible after all)

So with the switch to gluten free being a difficult one for us since my husband is a peanut butter and jelly addict, and the price of not so yummy gluten free bread, I needed to come up with a gluten free bread recipe that is not a bank breaker. So I started to search. In actuality the recipe I needed was on the back of my Tapioca flour package. However, I did try the recipe exactly as Bob's Red Mill suggested minus the conversion from dry milk to regular milk. The conversion made there be 2 cups of milk bringing the batter already to the half way mark of the bread machine pan. So that first attempt I pretty much knew what was going to happen. Anyway, I reduced the milk and viola---

Garbanzo Bean and Brown Rice Bread (Tweaked by the Pomegranate Queen)

Ingredients
  • 3 large Eggs, slightly beaten 
  • 1 tsp. Cider Vinegar 
  • 3 Tbsp. Olive Oil 
  • 1-1/3 cups Water  
  • 1 cup Garbanzo Bean Flour 
  • 1 cup Brown Rice Flour 
  • 1/2 cup Tapioca Flour 
  • 1/2 cup Cornstarch 
  • 4 tsp. Xanthan Gum 
  • 3 Tbsp. Brown Sugar  
  • 2/3 cup Milk  
  • 2-1/4 tsp. Yeast, Instant
Directions
Combine liquid ingredients and pour carefully into bread machine baking pan. Measure dry ingredients, mix well and blend. Add to baking pan. Carefully set pan in breadmaker. Select BASIC/NORMAL/WHITE cycle; start machine. After mixing action begins, help any unmixed ingredients into the dough with a rubber spatula, keeping to edges and top of batter to prevent interference with the paddle. Remove pan from the machine when bake cycle is complete. Invert pan and shake gently to remove bread. Cool upright on a rack before slicing. Makes about 10 slices.


I have to admit I am rather Proud of myself. :D Oh and if you grind your flours yourself they really are cheaper.



1 comment: