Monday, February 7, 2011

Flannels anyone?

For breakfast today we had flannel pancakes. Yes I know that is a funny name. And no there is not actually flannel in them. I don't know why my Grandma decided to call them that but here they are in all their glory. Beautiful and yummyish and Mmmm....

So since I have a cook book in the making and this recipe is not one that I created I thought I would share it with you. I made a few adjustments to Grandma's recipe so I can keep up with the traditional cooking style I have come to love.

Okay Okay, On to the recipe.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Flannel Cakes by Marge Schlegel (updated by Sara Carlson)

1 cup unbleached flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp sea  salt
3 tsp aluminum free baking powder
2 eggs separated
2 cups milk
1 T home rendered lard + more for frying (I highly recommend rendering your own. Stuff in the store is hydrogenated oils.
11/2 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat griddle so it is hot.  Sift flours, salt, and Baking Powder together. Beat egg yolks and add in. Add milk, vanilla, and tablespoon lard. Fold in stiffly beaten egg whites and bake on hot griddle.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



There you have it.

(Now I know some of you will wonder, But I thought she was gluten free. Well, here's the thing. We tried gluten free, we did it for about 3 months. And with no great improvement I sought out a new way. Gluten free is great, but we neither have time nor money to invest in ways of cooking that involves alot of experimenting at the moment. I actually bled a lot worse on a Gluten free diet than I am on a Traditional Diet. Ike was seeing some improvements, but then they went back to the same things that was going on before. I think we as a family need to keep gluten where it belongs. In breads, and pastas, In things using flour, etc. We don't need gluten in our juice, we don't need gluten in things that don't have flour or wheat in them. So how do we do that. Everything is from scratch. Everything. A lot of people may roll their eyes at me, but this is what is right for my family, it has worked so far and as long as it continues to work we will be wheat and animal fat eaters for life.) Oh and I highly Recommend Sally Fallons book Nourishing Traditions. It is a great place to start for a traditional lifestyle.

No comments:

Post a Comment