Monday, March 22, 2010

Thanksgiving in March

We found this great recipe from Simply Recipes. We used it for 2009 Thanksgiving and it was a hit. I have been craving it since we had turkey 2 or 3 weeks ago. So we got the same turkey from the Menomonie Market Food Co-op. They get them from Kadejan in Minnesota. We are on the edge of Wisconsin so that is kind of local. I am totally in love with their turkey. It is free range. Not necessarily organic but no antibiotics. I hope it turns out as good as it did last year.

So we have really been struggling to eat 100% organic. It really doesn't help that my family doesn't care about organic or not. So the trip before the last to the store we ended up only buying one item organic. Now when we shop we shop for our food that will last us for 2 weeks or more. So thats alot of food. The only thing we got that was organic was a box of Kraft Organic Mac and Cheese.

Those two weeks were torture and we are still trying to detox. I totally noticed a change in my mood and the way we act. I was much more tired and I lost all enthusiasm. Since we switched back I have kind of regained my energy. But not completely. We like to try and follow the Dervaes example.

If we can't do the first thing on the list we strive to do the next.


  • produce it your self
  • buy farmer's market
  • buy local
  • buy organic
  • buy fairly traded
  • buy whole food
  • buy minimally processed
I think it is really easy to lose sight of what is really important to you during the winter. We stopped making our own food from scratch. today I actually did it again. And boy did it feel good. I made homemade cinnamon rolls (we even ground our own wheat). Then tonight we are having the turkey. I am super excited. I had so much energy when we lived like this last summer/fall. I hope we can make it a habit for the whole year. and not to poop out on it once the weather gets cold. 

No comments:

Post a Comment